Thursday, March 7, 2013

What is blessed about wilderness? The wilderness can be a harsh reality. For some, it inspires fear and anguish; for others, hope and freedom. Where does your mind go when you think of wilderness? For me, it varies. Sometimes, I see the beautiful peaks of the Rocky Mountains or the majestic power of the Mississippi River, places associated with some of the best experiences of my life. Other times, I think of loneliness, despair, and some of the most difficult experiences of my life. For the purposes of this blog, we will be examining these and other meanings of the word wilderness. We call it "blessed" because we are confident that God is present through our various experiences of wilderness. We are not alone. In my life, I have experienced God's presence most clearly in what I may describe as wilderness experiences. God has a tendency to "show up" in my experiences of wilderness. I thank you for accompanying me in this journey. Your presence makes this experience all the more "blessed." In this blog, I hope to examine some of my own wilderness experiences of joys and struggles. I hope to examine the biblical witness of wilderness. I hope to examine the particular wilderness settings of Christian outdoor ministries. I look forward to our journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment